Why a focus on wellbeing at work is becoming increasingly important in the workplace
Upcoming Career Zoo event to feature an 'Unplug' wellbeing space with VR installations, mindfulness experiences and practical advice from Jenny Murphy, Irish Rugby legend and sports psychologist and All-Ireland winning Dublin footballer Kevin McManamon.
A recent survey by Career Zoo found that flexible work options, salary and career development opportunities are the most important factors for candidates looking for a new job. However, the survey also showed that good work/life balance and appreciation for good work are the most important factors in creating a positive working environment for employees.
Tech employers in particular realise that a generous salary isn’t enough to attract and retain employees, and are offering more flexibility to their employees to be able to work from home, for instance. They are also placing increasing importance on wellbeing in the workplace, putting initiatives in place to ensure that staff are motivated and appreciated, and are physically and mentally well at work.
At Career Zoo this Saturday 7th April, the Unplug wellbeing space, powered by JP Morgan, will offer attendees a relaxing but fun environment where they can take part in culture and wellbeing experiences try out meditative VR installations and take part in mindfulness activities.
Jackie Slattery, Director of Career Zoo, said:
“With Ireland close to full employment, the power is all in the candidates’ hands and so companies have to adapt. Career Zoo is helping to connect professional job seekers and companies in a smarter way through networking with employees of each of the participating company, and helping candidates learn about a company’s culture and people. The wellbeing of a company’s employees plays a big role in that. Employers know that a healthy workforce is a happy workforce.”
Some of the activities planned for the day include:
Virtual Reality zone
· ‘Deep’, the Meditative VR Game where you can explore a beautiful and mysterious underwater world. Allow the game to sweep you into its relaxing embrace as it teaches you yogic breathing techniques that can alleviate stress and anxiety.
· Take your mind and heart on a journey as you try our unique 360 degree VR climbing experience in the Grand Canyon.
· Experience the sights and sounds of PepTalk’s custom built Dublin Walks VR Series, taking in Dalkey Bay, Howth Head and many more.
· Listen to stories and learn some great practical tips for your wellbeing from some Irish sporting personalities, including Jenny Murphy, Irish Rugby legend and sports psychologist and Dublin footballer Kevin McManamon.
· Share some love via snail mail with Happiness postcards which can be posted at the event.
· Share your career gratitudes and goals on our mindfulness wall.
Career Zoo is bringing candidates closer to the heart of Ireland’s tech ecosystem this year by moving to the CHQ Building and Dogpatch Labs in Dublin’s Digital Docklands. Candidates will have the chance to speak with leading companies, network and listen to ground-breaking talks in a unique setting including the tech-friendly indoor urban garden.
The event is sponsored by JP Morgan, SAP and Amgen. Other participating companies include Abbott, Airtel, Aspira, Autodesk, Bearing Point, Bentley Systems, Cardinal Healthcare, Eaton, Grifols, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Mylan, nearForm, Ocuco, Safefood 360, SIG, State Street, Takeda, Twilio, Version 1 and Wachsman.
Dogpatch Labs, the start-up hub which is home to over 45 growing tech companies, will also be represented on the day where candidates can talk about career opportunities.
Career Zoo will take place at the CHQ Building and Dogpatch Labs at 1 Custom House Quay in Dublin’s North Docklands from 10am to 4.30pm on Saturday, 7th April.
Candidates can register for free for the event here – https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/career-zoo-dublin-tickets-43341835597?aff=es2